Pierrot le fou (1965), J.L. Godard - An alternative view



Indulging into post-modernism settings with thoughts on egocentricism.

In Greece, we use different words for love (αγάπη) and falling in love (έρωτας). The first is the type of love we have for our siblings and family and the second is the passionate, selfish, sometimes distructive type that comes like a wave and you only know what it will be once the dust is settled.

Marianne cannot remember the name Ferdinand. She never quite understood him or even made an effort to get accustomed to the whole of him. But 'Pierrot' was no innocent lad.He was very much pre-occupied with himself. He left his family and social life because he found them boring. He found a sort of hapiness, security and the life he wanted with Marianne. Dust was settled and mission accomplished. For Marianne, the dust settled with the decision to leave him. She wanted to 'live'.

Ferdinand cannot accept that he lost his nice settled life. My favourite scene was "the madman": "Am I mad for craving this security in my life? For not being able to forget that the one that I loved left me? Am I mad for being with someone, and yet I'm still thinking about the one that left me?" - "Yes you are. This is no way to live a life. I'd rather kill them both and then kill myself." And he does. Of course he regrets at the last minute, but then it's too late.

And life goes on. We love and fall in love and get hurt and we keep wondering is there any action that is completelly selfless? And we stay there, in between ourselves and the rest of the world. Children born and raised after the explosion of the mass media and we find Godard timely.



http://www.hipandtrippy.com/2013/09/miscommunication-art-subjectivity-pierrot-le-fou/

Comments