Echoes of life at ...98


As I move fast into the third decade of my life, I find myself drawn to the beauty of realism and eager to learn about artists and film-makers that are not served on a plate to me. And so, recently, I came across a Greek film-maker, named Evripidis Karydis, that made me go back to my old moving-picture love with a whole new perspective.

There is something in capturing actual parts of our lives and putting them together, that is beyond doubt the most honest and relatable thing that can exist, and at the same time the most hard for me to find today. Even though the actual events may have happened in a specific, objectively well-defined chronological order, that is not how humans remember them.

'98' is a short documenary about a woman that has the same name as me :) and is going through that portion of her life where every day she is flirting with the absolute darkness, like my grandparents used to say. The question of existence is something that takes up a lot of my thoughts, and how do we define it. The days or hours that we may have spent in pain when we get broken down by an illness is maybe the closest we have to remind ourselves that we are not invincible. What was once a perfectly functioning body, a proud voice, healthy hair, sharp eyes, is now failing us. So, where do we turn to seek strength? If not for those who seek refugee in the supernatural, and if not from the outside of us,  then which is that part inide of you that you go for strength?

98 has reminded me of all those complexities of human nature. How being lonely even when inside a room full of people can make me come closer to that part someone's life.

I have put Evripidis on my watch list.

Comments